Dr. Shaw Memorial Library
Monday: 3 - 6pm
Dr. Shaw Memorial Library History and Information
The library was originally a private residence built in 1841 by Calvin Hopkins. In 1883, Dr. Herbert and Ella Doten Shaw purchased the house which they used as their residence and the doctor's office. Dr. Shaw practiced in Mount Vernon for many years during which he grew to love the town and was respected by the town's people.
Mrs. Shaw died in 1926, followed by Dr. Shaw in 1939. His will gave his house and savings to the town to be used as a library. In 1943, the Dr. Shaw Memorial Library was opened to the public and in 1979 it became the town library.
Dr. Shaw left a trust fund for the library’s support and over the years other generous donations have allowed for a healthy book budget, beautiful landscaping, carpeting, improvements to the driveway, and other major projects.
Margaret Webber, the librarian for many years, is also part of the library's history. The room which houses our public access computers is named the Margaret Webber room in her honor. The Maine books room is dedicated to former well known resident and local historian, Clayton Dolloff.
The Library Today
|Main Area||Magazine & Reading Room||Margaret's Room & Computer Area|
The Dr. Shaw Memorial Library remains a vibrant part of the community, serving both towns of Vienna and Mount Vernon. The library has about 12,000 books plus a collection of audiovisual materials, as well as over 25 magazine subscriptions that may be borrowed. An online catalog is available to the public to access from home, and the library subscribes to a downloadable book program though the Maine State Library, which is free for patrons to use. Five computers, connected to a wireless system, are available for public use and the network also allows patrons to bring their own electronic devices from home. Librarians are happy to interlibrary loan materials from other libraries, or add them to their current wish list for purchase.
The library hosts several annual programs, including a summer reading program with weekly story hours, a bird walk, a mushroom walk, a community poetry reading and the annual book sale. Other programs are planned throughout the year as requested. We also host annual Tax Help days organized by AARP volunteers.
Use of the library is free to the public. All materials may be borrowed for two weeks, and renewals can be requested by phone. There is a wooden box on the porch and a metal mailbox near the ramp at the side entrance where materials can be returned when the library is closed.
A beautiful landscaped garden in memory of former trustee Sue Inch, made possible through a generous donor, adorns the property.
A dedicated board of trustees, an excellent staff and many hours contributed by faithful volunteers make this all possible. The board of trustees includes Chairman George Smith, Dorcas Riley, Kathy Kelly, Shari Hamilton, and Fred Webber. Staff members are Head Librarian Alice Olson, Anne Brooks, and Mary Anne Libby.
|"Maine Books" Upstairs||The Children's Room||A Magic Show|